24 September 2009

More Parisian Pleasures

Today brought with it more endless wandering of the streets of Paris, with the exception of a two hour rest I was forced to take when I began experiencing painful spasms in my left foot. Perhaps I've overdone it a bit.  I particularly enjoyed exploring the grounds of the Louvre, the Tuileries, la Place de la Concorde, and the l'Orangerie museum, which features two large, oval rooms of Monet's water lilies. It feels as though you're truly standing on a bridge in the midst of his water garden, what an absolutely lovely experience that was! 

I also visited l'Opéra Garnier, and then spent quite a bit of time exploring le Quartier Latin on the left bank.  I wandered through Musée de Cluny, La Sorbonne, Saint Séverin, and la Place Saint Michel.  

I adore the Latin Quarter.  For dinner, I found myself on a crowded street of Arabic, North African, and Greek restaurants and vendors, each complete with a greeter in the doorway battling one another to beckon me inside. Several languages and lively ethnic music filled the air, and the multicultural flavor of this area is such a different Paris, which is why I love it so much.  I was rather put off by the aggressive men who tried to physically pull me inside, so when a pleasant young women quietly asked me "Couscous?", I gratefully stepped inside. Presently, I was presented with a sumptuous Moroccan feast of couscous, tender chicken that just fell off the bone, and an array of cooked vegetables and the most sensuous drink I've ever tasted, a sweet mint tea. 

After dinner, I stepped back into the chaos of the street, and made my way to Shakespeare & Company, a world renowned bookstore featuring English language texts. Those who purchase from the store receive a special stamp in their book.  

I ended my last night in Paris in the usual place... my favorite place on earth... Notre Dame. An informative film was showing in the cathedral itself, projected on a huge screen stretched across the nave.  I was grateful for a chance to rest my legs once again, and to end my stay in Paris there. After the film, I sat outside alone, attempting to take in the glory of Notre Dame, which is golden in the moonlight, but was overwhelmed by the abundance of couples holding hands and stealing kisses as if to taunt me in my solitude.  I also was fending off the advances of amorous/ drunken passers-by, so I decided to call it a night. My thoughts returned to how much Jim would adore this city, and how I can't wait to share it with him.  Sigh.  

Tomorrow, I'm off to Metz, which I will be calling home for the better part of a year.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails