27 July 2009

Getting my French Visa in Chicago

I'm officially one step closer to France! Dad accompanied me to beautiful Chicago for my Visa appointment at the French Consulate, where I had to appear in person and submit my arrêté de nomination, as well as my passport and some paperwork.  My Visa should be delivered within two weeks, at which point I will be free to leave for France!

Dad and I had an absolute ball!  Being cut from the same cloth, we get along famously! We wandered the streets all weekend, photographing everything in sight, and eating quite well too!



Highlights of the trip include:

*Cloud Gate, a three story steel sculpture affectionately known as "The Bean," in Millenium Park.

*Visiting Seurat's Un dimanche après midi à la grande Jatte and Hopper's Nighthawks at the Art Institute of Chicago.

*Dinner and Guinness at Elephant and Castle Pub.

*The stained glass museum at Navy Pier (refreshingly air conditioned and devoid of crowds.)

*Free Opera performance at the Jay Pritzger Pavilion in Millennium Park.

*Exploring our two favorite skyscrapers: My favorite is the Tribune Tower, and with its neo gothic architecture, and stones and bricks from places all over the world, including the Pyramids of Giza, Notre Dame de Paris, and Edinburgh Castle. Dad's favorite is the Hancock Building, the structural expressionist masterpiece in the commercial district.

*Outdoor breakfasts, drinking in the sounds of the city waking up.

What an unforgettable trip! I'm thrilled to have shared this experience with my dad! As amazing as our trek across the city was, it was the conversations we shared that I will treasure the most.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails